Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Which CFW should I install

Underground PS3 information and discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Aardbark

Which CFW should I install

Post by Aardbark »

I finaly got my 3.55 firmware ps3, and Im ready to install some custom firmware on it, but which should I install?

I see there is Kmeaw and Rebug, and some others. Which is the best to install?

I would like to play backup ps3 and ps2 games, (my ps3 is backwards compatible) I think multiman is the software to install for playing backup iso's?

Anyone willing to help me decide would be much apretiated.
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Which CFW should I install

Post by fate6 »

I suggest rebug
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12372
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Aardbark

Post by Aardbark »

Is rebug better? Is it more stable or something? Why do you suggest it? Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to be as informed as possible so I dont make any mistakes, and I dont have to ask again.

Oh, and what is the difference between rebug 4.21 and rebug 3.55? And do they need someting like multiman to run game iso's?
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

TBH I have not had a CFW PS3 since 3.55 was the latest OFW :lol:
the reason I suggest rebug is cause I hear nothing but good things about it

if you would like to wait till jc_gargma gets online she will be able to explain thing much better
also PS3 games are not ISO's when riped
(at least not back when I had a CFW PS3)
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Aardbark

Post by Aardbark »

Ok, doing a little reasearch there doesnt seem to be much difference between the firmwares. I think...

But I still dont know the difference between rebug 4.21 and rebug 3.55 - their webpage has very little info
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

afaik only deference is base OFW
I suggest going with 3.55 version since its the one I have actually seen recommended before ^__^
Aardbark

Post by Aardbark »

I dont know for sure, but Im guessing that only the 3.55 version can play backup games?

Also can I play backup ps2 games with multiman from the hard drive?
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

3.55 can run backups, as can the more modern 4.21 rebug (gets around some resigning issues, depends on your preferences.) If you update to a 4.21 CFW, make sure to QA flag your system while on 3.55 first! (don't install OFW 4.21, go right into 4.21 rebug from 3.55 rebug, normal mode enabled of course.)

As for PS2 backups:
It depends on your PS3 model. If CECHA-CECHE Phats, then yes, all else, no.
There are files you can write to flash to reenable Sony's emulator, but it only works for legit discs.
Aardbark

Post by Aardbark »

Yea, I know not to update to OFW beond 3.55, I just cant tell what the difference is between the various CFS's out there. Not sure what QA flagging is, but I can google that I hope.

My PS3 is the original model, so I know its backwards compatible. I was just wondering if I can run downloaded ISO's because I sold all my old PS2 games a long time ago.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Aardbark wrote:I was just wondering if I can run downloaded ISO's because I sold all my old PS2 games a long time ago.

and with that you get no more help :roll:

Return to “Programming & security”