Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

what is best cfw option for ps3 2.50 fw

Underground PS3 information and discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
jok3r0314

what is best cfw option for ps3 2.50 fw

Post by jok3r0314 »

I've recently acquired a ps3 phat and as the title says its on ofw 2.50. The bluray drive does not work so I was hoping to find the best option for installing cfw on it to play recent games. Any help will be appreciated thank you
Advertising
Laugh clown, laugh...
zoraktorok

Re: what is best cfw option for ps3 2.50 fw

Post by zoraktorok »

I'm going to say rebug 4.21 rex edition... I also have a phat with a broke bluray... with a good nand dump you can use a usb drive to mount a ps3 BD iso on it to get full compatibility.. otherwise the game selection is cut to about half. Rex's advance options are not for everyone though because your going to have to read up on DEX/ceX info and get your console specific keys to switch back and forth by FLASHING... no room for error, one mistake and you brick. Still, if you NEVER do use that option, atleast it is there and you only get it with rebug.... along with a whole other slew of options that you MAY never use. Still, you lose nothing compared to rogero so it is always best to have more at your disposal.... I'd read up though, i'm not sure if you can go directly from 2.50 to a higher cfw or if you have to be at ofw 3.55 first.
Advertising
Corey96

Post by Corey96 »

There is no 'best firmware', it's whichever firmware you decide to install.

If you care about playing the latest games without going through EBOOT patching and want to also be able to play online, I'd recommend 4.30 Rogero. You can access the PSN without installing anything extra, as of now, and it can run games for firmwares up to 4.30. There is a catch with the latest 4.xx CFWs however, many of the 3.55 .pkg files need to be resigned to work on the 4.xx firmwares. The tools I've seen that do that seem to run through batch scripts on Windows, so if you don't have a Windows computer a 4.xx CFW may not be the best choice for you. (Although you could of course use a virtual machine.)

If all you care about is running current games without using a disc 4.30 Rogero may well be the CFW for you.
My Devices
Why do you care that I have a...
PSP 3000 4g that I bricked,
An iPod Touch 4g running a 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak,
A PS Vita on 2.02 OFW running TN-C for... UNO!
And a Fat PS3 running 4.30 Rogero?
jok3r0314

Post by jok3r0314 »

if i go with the 4.30 rogero how do i go about that from 2.50 ofw? do i have to update to 3.55 ofw then istall the kailbreak and then the 3.55 cfw and install the 4.30 rogero cfw. or are there any steps in between
Laugh clown, laugh...
papimax68

Post by papimax68 »

jok3r0314 wrote:if i go with the 4.30 rogero how do i go about that from 2.50 ofw? do i have to update to 3.55 ofw then istall the kailbreak and then the 3.55 cfw and install the 4.30 rogero cfw. or are there any steps in between
For there say the CFW_Rogero_4.30 v2.03 can serve directly from any aid 3.55OFW/3.55CFW.Espero http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/view ... 127&t=4137. happy Holidays ;)
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

rebug and roger are about the same as to what can be done with them(both have psn access and both can be installed onto ofw 3.55)

but i find rebug to be more stable and user friendly
if all your wanting to do is play newer games ild say rebug rex
then install multiman 10.10+ then fine one game to leave in the drive

but fixing the bd drive isnt hard
on a fat just keep the daughter board off the bottom of the drive and swop the rest of the drive for a working one
on a slim or 4k, the drive should be a drop in replacement as the slims dont have daughter boards for the drives

ps: most of the time the drive just needs to be cleaned
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
Corey96

Post by Corey96 »

I believe you'd be able to install 4.30 Rogero directly over your 2.50 OFW. It is a whole new firmware so it would replace all the 3.55 firmware files if you installed it on that firmware, and it would do the same on 2.50. I know that you don't need to QA Flag before you install 4.30 Rogero v2.03 because I installed it directly over 3.55 OFW without QA Flagging and it works fine. So, I believe you should be able to install 4.30 Rogero directly over your current 2.50 OFW and not have to upgrade to 3.55 in order to install it.

Oh, and personally, I installed 4.30 Rogero via Recovery Mode. You can install it via the XMB but recovery mode is safer.
My Devices
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

qa flagging is needed for downgrading, and some core functions
it helps if your having corruption issues in the flash or hdd
many people still prefer the lower cfw because of the home brew support
not many hb have made the leap to 4.+ yet
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
Corey96

Post by Corey96 »

After a bit of googling I haven't found record of anyone going from a firmware lower than 3.55 directly to a 3.55, 4.21 or 4.30 CFW. Maybe you should go to 3.55 just to be safe.
My Devices
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

regardless of witch cfw you choose to go with, i strongly suggest replacing the thermal compound in the ps3 before you git a rlod
cfw's are known to make the ps3 run hotter then stock ofw

Return to “Programming & security”