Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] vitaXash3D

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
fgsfds

[RELEASE] vitaXash3D

Post by fgsfds »

vitaXash3D

Latest version: Release 4 (26 Mar 2018) + Multiplayer fix (01 Aug 2018)
Github repo: link

Image Image

Description
This is a Vita port of the Xash3D-FWGS engine, which is a FOSS recreation of the GoldSrc engine on which games like Half-Life and Counter-Strike run.
You've probably already heard of this port, but I decided to create this thread here as a more or less centralized way to get feedback.

Features
  • hardware-accelerated rendering at native resolution via vitaGL;
  • sound;
  • multiplayer, both over LAN and online (untested);
  • mod support via integrated launcher;
  • touch controls (very basic);
  • runs most versions of HL, including Steam, WON and Uplink.

Installation guide
Download (latest release):
VPK (~1.6 MB)
data.zip (~8.5 MB)

If you have a previous release of vitaXash3D installed with the full version of Half-Life, download the new data.zip and extract it to ux0:/ again, replacing everything.
If you have a previous release installed with Uplink, you'll have to delete the xash3d folder and reinstall from scratch.

Otherwise:
  1. Install the VPK.
  2. If you have a full version of Half-Life installed, copy the valve directory from it to ux0:/data/xash3d on your Vita.
    If you don't have a copy of Half-Life, download this archive containing the Half-Life Uplink demo and extract it to ux0:/.
  3. Extract data.zip to ux0:/. Replace everything if prompted.
data.zip from the current release comes with game libraries for the following mods/games:
  • Half-Life (and HL: Uplink)
  • Blue Shift
  • Opposing Force
  • Counter-Strike (client only)

Default controls
  • LEFT ANALOG: move player
  • RIGHT ANALOG: move camera
  • LTRIGGER: secondary fire when in game, turn on onscreen keyboard when in console
  • RTRIGGER: primary fire
  • CROSS: use, select menu option
  • SQUARE: reload
  • CIRCLE: jump
  • TRIANGLE: duck
  • LEFT, RIGHT: change weapon
  • UP: last used weapon
  • DOWN: flashlight
  • START: open/close menu
  • SELECT: open/close console (only works in-game)
Controls can be customized in the options menu.

Installing mods
The integrated mod selector detects all folders you have inside ux0:/data/xash3d as mods and lists them for selection.
To install a mod, just copy its folder (e. g. darkstar for USS Darkstar, bshift for Blue Shift, gearbox for Opposing Force) to ux0:/data/xash3d, but make sure to not replace any files.

Additional game libraries
This is a list of all the game libraries I have ported to the Vita that are not yet stable enough to be included in a mainline release. Use at your own risk. To install these, first install the mod they're for, then follow the instructions on the release page for the library.
Read this before asking questions:
  • The port is still very much a work in progress. Performance is subpar and there are numerous issues I've yet to fix. FPS is usually between 20 and 60, depending on the amount of stuff onscreen.
  • Right now only Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force and Counter-Strike game libraries have been ported to the Vita. They are included in data.zip since Release 3 (CS since Release 4).
  • To enable debugging features and ability to open console in the menu, run the game in debug mode by pressing TRIANGLE instead of CROSS in the mod launcher. This will also write the console log to ux0:/data/xash3d/engine.log.
  • If you're having trouble aiming, try turning on Autoaim in Configuration -> Controls -> Adv controls and/or lowering analog sensitivity for Pitch and Yaw in Configuration -> Gamepad. You can also invert any axis on either analog in the same menu by ticking the appropriate Invert checkbox. Pitch and yaw seem to be swapped for some reason, though.
  • Saving takes a really long time, sometimes up to two minutes, loading is also slow, but not as much. This is a known issue and I'm working on fixing it. When the game hangs at a random point or when you enter a new map, it's probably autosaving, so wait until it finishes. If you want, you can disable autosaves in Configuration -> Game options.
  • Multiplayer works with any Xash3D server as long as it's compatible with this port, meaning it has to be running the same mod/game as you on either Xash3D-FWGS v0.19 or Xash3D build 3366, otherwise it will probably crash during connection. Hosting a server on your Vita and joining it also should work, at least over LAN.
  • The game will download any maps and resources you don't have when you join a server automatically, as long as you enable Allow download in Configuration -> Game options.
  • Playing multiplayer and running other mods requires the full version of Half-Life.
  • You can install Uplink as a mod alongside the full version by copying just the uplink folder from the Uplink archive linked above.
  • If you need to navigate number menus like this one in Counter-Strike, install the CS server library linked above. It includes a new touch button that pops up a numeric keypad when used.
  • Expect every new release to be incompatible with some or all saves from previous releases.
  • If your question is not answered in this section, check the README and the issues list on Github first.

Credits
  • Uncle Mike & co for Xash3D and FWGS team for Xash3D-FWGS;
  • Vita SDK Team for the Vita SDK;
  • Rinnegatamante for vitaGL, vitaQuake/vitaQuakeII and general advice;
  • ArkSource for the Live Area stuff;
  • KINGGOLDrus for some launcher graphics;
  • everyone on the #henkaku and #vitasdk IRC channels for help and/or testing.
I might be forgetting some people, sorry about that.
Advertising
Last edited by fgsfds on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 12 times in total.
ji11x38

Re: [RELEASE] vitaXash3D

Post by ji11x38 »

Finally a thread here to congratulate you on the awesome port you created!!
Thanks a lot, i wouldn´t have guessed that after the amazing quake port, half-life - my absoulte evergreen- would be next!!!

Been playing up to the heli-fight in "we got hostiles" and am faceing some probs as the framrate drops quite a bit, making the already hard aiming even more difficult.. (do i have to enable the auto aim again?)

An other thing i was wondering is how to actually set up the touchscreen input, the menu is a bit confusing.. Would be great if you could post some details on taht (in case it´s already working) .

Thanks again! Keep up the amazing work!! As it's already more than amazing, i am really looking forward what comes of the port and possible mod support.
Advertising
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

I'm glad you like it.

If your crosshair turns red and shifts towards enemies when you're aiming at them, then autoaim is already on and there's nothing else you can do about it besides decreasing analog sensitivity in Controls -> Gamepad. If it doesn't do that, that means autoaim is off you can turn it on either in the Controls -> Adv controls menu or by setting sv_aim to 1 in config.cfg. I know that standard Half-Life autoaim kind of sucks and was made more to help with mouse aiming, I'll see if I can make it any better.

There's no touchscreen input of any kind besides the on-screen keyboard that you can use to input console commands. To do that, press LTRIGGER when the console is open. The Touch settings in the menu don't actually do anything yet.
barak06

Post by barak06 »

Hi !
thx but Half-Life Uplink demo doesn't work !
When i go to new game/ easy,medium,difficult and press X ---> nothing happens
ji11x38

Post by ji11x38 »

Wow, wasnt expecting such a quick reply!!

Just doubled checked and yeah you are right, the autoaim is not great. I had it turned on all along and died a lot xD

Well it’s definitely not your fault. Reading about your plans on looking into including the ps2 autoaim on github , my hopes are up eventhough i belief this might not work in the end.

Regarding touch input, i am really looking forward to future releases, too.

On last thing: the “save-game “dialog stoped working for me reliable after the update.
From time to time, the saveslot selector does not show up. If i finde a way to reproduce it repeatable, i’ll let you know.

@barak: double check taht you did as told in the readme, i actually got it wrong when i fist tried.
Are you seeing the main menue?
If so, try waiting a bit longer and the game should start
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

barak06 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:06 pm Hi !
Are you sure you've done everything correctly?
After you unpack the Uplink archive and the data archive, the Xash3D directory structure on your memory card should look like this:

Code: Select all

ux0:/ (memory card root)
---- data/
-------- xash3d/
------------ valve/
---------------- gameinfo.txt
---------------- extras.pak
---------------- config.cfg
---------------- game.cfg
---------------- keyboard.cfg
---------------- opengl.cfg
---------------- video.cfg
------------ uplink/
---------------- (lots of different files here)
Make sure that you're selecting "Half-Life Uplink" and not "Fake Half-Life" in the launcher when you're running the game.
barak06

Post by barak06 »

I just have new game/load game.... menu
then when i go in new game with x and then easy for example and press x, noting happens
barak06

Post by barak06 »

fgsfds wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm
barak06 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:06 pm Hi !
Are you sure you've done everything correctly?
After you unpack the Uplink archive and the data archive, the Xash3D directory structure on your memory card should look like this:

Code: Select all

ux0:/ (memory card root)
---- data/
-------- xash3d/
------------ valve/
---------------- gameinfo.txt
---------------- extras.pak
---------------- config.cfg
---------------- game.cfg
---------------- keyboard.cfg
---------------- opengl.cfg
---------------- video.cfg
------------ uplink/
---------------- (lots of different files here)
Make sure that you're selecting "Half-Life Uplink" and not "Fake Half-Life" in the launcher when you're running the game.
Firstime i have "half life uplink" and "half life fake" and choose first one
Now i have "half life" and "half life fake" .... Changed name ?
And i checked with zilla i have the same directory structure
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

barak06 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm Firstime i have "half life uplink" and "half life fake" and choose first one
Now i have "half life" and "half life fake" .... Changed name ?
And i checked with zilla i have same dir strucure
It could change name due to a bug, I've never seen that happen though.
I tried installing Uplink from scratch. After extracting both the Uplink archive and the data archive to ux0:/, I get this in the launcher:

I select Half-Life Uplink by hitting DOWN and then CROSS, then I get a menu that looks like this:

And it loads just fine when I hit New Game -> Easy/Medium/Difficult.
If you select Fake Half-Life it should load a menu with black background where almost nothing works correctly, sounds like that is what you're getting.
barak06

Post by barak06 »

i haven't got the same build
ver. 0.19/094c549 build data feb 28 2018
But working

I reinstall everything and follow your steps and i remembered that i install vpk after ftp...
When i install vpk first it worked.
THX

Return to “HENkaku”