Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[v0.11] Katawa Shoujo PSVita port

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
fk1995

Re: [v0.11] Katawa Shoujo PSVita port

Post by fk1995 »

InnocentSam wrote:
fk1995 wrote:Wow! this is really incredible. I never thought that Ren'Py can be port to Vita via love2d! Great work, I am curious how you reimplemented Ren'Py's system on love2d. If possible, could you briefly talk about your approach and what did you do to accomplish that. Many thanks!
If you take a look at the March22-Lua sdk folder, you'll see the code for RPYtoLua, which algorithmically parses RPY script into M22 Lua script. A lot of it was recycled from my RPYtoEBook converter, just with a better algo for recognizing decisions and such (since Python does parenthesis via indentation... whoever thought this was a good idea should die).

Love2D doesn't touch the Vita at all; it's simply used for running the same project on PC (with a very small amount of modification, such as text size/line width) for either debugging or multi-platform support.

Lets say you wanted to exit the game. In March22/script, you'd call "System.exit()", as per lpp-vita standards. When run on Vita, this works out of the box since it's built using lpp-vita. On PC, it just acts as a middle-man for the Love2D exit function, because Lua is pretty good at function overriding :)

Hopefully this clarifies some bits!

After going through most of the code(c++ and lua), I came to the conclusion that this is a very basic converter/engine(March22) and is only compatible with some simplest Ren'Py's script, and there is still a long way to go. On the other hand, it is yet quite impressive that this has been done and I will definitely follow this project!

==========

I'm wondering that if it is possible to use love2d to interpret converted script instead of generating lua scripts and run them? Does love2d can have io operation on vita?
Advertising
Last edited by fate6 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: For the love of Madoka edit your post!
InnocentSam

Post by InnocentSam »

fk1995 wrote:I'm wondering that if it is possible to use love2d to interpret converted script instead of generating lua scripts and run them? Does love2d can have io operation on vita?
Love2D doesn't come near the Vita; it's only used for PC. At any rate, an interpreter would be written in pure Lua so it wouldn't matter what backbone/engine it was using.

EDIT: And just to check, you did edit the charnames.txt files right? It outright ignores text/dialogue if it doesn't have one of those prefixes listed and its corresponding fixed name.
Advertising
“You never understood games. Maybe that's why the world was such a mystery to you.”
Daniel Suarez, Daemon
fk1995

Post by fk1995 »

InnocentSam wrote:
fk1995 wrote:I'm wondering that if it is possible to use love2d to interpret converted script instead of generating lua scripts and run them? Does love2d can have io operation on vita?
Love2D doesn't come near the Vita; it's only used for PC. At any rate, an interpreter would be written in pure Lua so it wouldn't matter what backbone/engine it was using.

EDIT: And just to check, you did edit the charnames.txt files right? It outright ignores text/dialogue if it doesn't have one of those prefixes listed and its corresponding fixed name.
Wait, I think lpp-vita is a program that can run love2d game on vita, am I correct? I am just wondering if we can write some lua scripts to dynamically interpret those script file instead of preparing them. Maybe Ren'Py's script system is a little bit too complex, but how about some script language like the one used by NScripter that is also interpreted line by line?
InnocentSam

Post by InnocentSam »

fk1995 wrote:Wait, I think lpp-vita is a program that can run love2d game on vita, am I correct?
No, lpp-vita is a Lua wrapper/engine for the vita2d engine (read: VITA2d)
Love2d is a Lua wrapper/engine for PC/Mac/Linux (and possibly other platforms, I don't know).
March22 is the middle ground; it runs on both lpp-vita and love2d (with slight modification) because of simply overriding/creating the lpp-vita functions and pointing them to love2d functions.
fk1995 wrote:I am just wondering if we can write some lua scripts to dynamically interpret those script file instead of preparing them.
By all means, go for it... RPYtoLua works for what I wrote it for.
fk1995 wrote:Maybe Ren'Py's script system is a little bit too complex...
Depends. The style used for Katawa Shoujo was very simple, for example.
fk1995

Post by fk1995 »

InnocentSam wrote:
fk1995 wrote:Wait, I think lpp-vita is a program that can run love2d game on vita, am I correct?
No, lpp-vita is a Lua wrapper/engine for the vita2d engine (read: VITA2d)
Love2d is a Lua wrapper/engine for PC/Mac/Linux (and possibly other platforms, I don't know).
March22 is the middle ground; it runs on both lpp-vita and love2d (with slight modification) because of simply overriding/creating the lpp-vita functions and pointing them to love2d functions.
fk1995 wrote:I am just wondering if we can write some lua scripts to dynamically interpret those script file instead of preparing them.
By all means, go for it... RPYtoLua works for what I wrote it for.
fk1995 wrote:Maybe Ren'Py's script system is a little bit too complex...
Depends. The style used for Katawa Shoujo was very simple, for example.
:)I see.Thanks for explaining that to me. Is it true that almost 100% of love2d works on lpp-vita now?
Holy Kitsune

Post by Holy Kitsune »

Sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly. I made an account for this question, so I don't exactly know what I'm doing.

So I installed this on my PS Vita without a problem, but for some reason whenever I try to save, I get an error message and the option to restart or enable/disable FTP. Is there any way to fix this problem?
sudovim

Post by sudovim »

Holy Kitsune wrote:Sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly. I made an account for this question, so I don't exactly know what I'm doing.

So I installed this on my PS Vita without a problem, but for some reason whenever I try to save, I get an error message and the option to restart or enable/disable FTP. Is there any way to fix this problem?
Hi can you screenshot the error message? If it appears then disappears too quickly to screenshot, can you just type it out? It'd help massively!
thatnoobpj

Post by thatnoobpj »

Hey guys, how goes the progress? I'm really looking forward to this!
sudovim

Post by sudovim »

thatnoobpj wrote:Hey guys, how goes the progress? I'm really looking forward to this!
As far as functionality goes, it is actually possible to play the entire game with the current version of the tools and the right image files. As far as stability goes... well... :?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm too busy to work on this at the moment. With that being said, I really do want to come back to this project as soon as I am able to. It's a very fun project and playing KS on PSV is pretty cool :D
thatnoobpj

Post by thatnoobpj »

Ahh okay :(

I wish I could help in some way. I am currently learning how to code, but it is very difficult for me. Thank you for your work!

Return to “HENkaku”