Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
Al Capwn

Re: [RELEASE] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Post by Al Capwn »

Thank you very much for the continued improvement of Quake and other games. The issue I'm running into is I keep getting a GPU Driver crash, and also my performance is kind of on the low side, with many dips into the 30s; is it just me? Changing MSAA or SSAA doesn't seem to have any effect.
Advertising
Purplstuph

Post by Purplstuph »

Quake sometimes gets an error r_drawsprite: no such frame.
If there's too much, it crashes the ps vita.
That's also probably because i had to mix my pak1 with pak0 in order to make the port recognize my game as full version.
It's very annoying when that happens. Downgrading to a lower version until fixed.
Advertising
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

tr0ut wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 am After updating to vitaQuake 4.0, the app simply refuses to load id1 (files taken from my GOG copy).
When I try to launch it, it instantly closes down and in ux0:data/Quake I get a log.txt that says "W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad"
It used to work before I updated to 4.0.
This is how id1 looks like. Is there any fix for it?
Steam data files work fine, on vitaQuake GitHub i uploaded my gfx.wad file just in case.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Purplstuph wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm Quake sometimes gets an error r_drawsprite: no such frame.
That's also probably because i had to mix my pak1 with pak0 in order to make the port recognize my game as full version.
It's very annoying when that happens. Downgrading to a lower version until fixed.
You shouldn't get that error if you disable the smooth animations option in Options menu.
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Al Capwn wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm Thank you very much for the continued improvement of Quake and other games. The issue I'm running into is I keep getting a GPU Driver crash, and also my performance is kind of on the low side, with many dips into the 30s; is it just me? Changing MSAA or SSAA doesn't seem to have any effect.
In what circumstances you experience the GPUCRASH? As for the framerate, it depends on the map and situation. You can stick to MSAA only to improve framerate and, if not enough, lower resolution.
Al Capwn

Post by Al Capwn »

Rinnegatamante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Al Capwn wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm Thank you very much for the continued improvement of Quake and other games. The issue I'm running into is I keep getting a GPU Driver crash, and also my performance is kind of on the low side, with many dips into the 30s; is it just me? Changing MSAA or SSAA doesn't seem to have any effect.
In what circumstances you experience the GPUCRASH? As for the framerate, it depends on the map and situation. You can stick to MSAA only to improve framerate and, if not enough, lower resolution.
I'm not sure how to download previous versions to compare, but before I was getting a solid 60fps just about everywhere. The first noticeable slowdown is on the very first section before you choose difficulty, looking at the flame to the left or right seems to drop the fps significantly now. The first GPUDriver crash I got was on The Vaults of Zin when you get the grenade launcher and when I fired at the first zombie I got a GPUDriver crash. The 2nd GPUDriver crash I got was on Termination Central when firing at one of the explosive 'cubes' with the shotgun.

I'm going to fully wipe my install and re-install just incase it's something odd with upgrading over previous versions.
Al Capwn

Post by Al Capwn »

It appears that doing a full wipe may have solved my GPUDRIVER crashing, although I do still experience a lot of slowdowns as compared to previous versions. I wouldn't be surprised if this is because before it wasn't rendering certain things properly so it would technically be 'faster'. I haven't noticed any artifacting with this new version which is great.

Edit: I'm still getting GPUDRIVER crashing. This time it was in the Tomb of Terror with the hallway in the near beginning with the zombies, I launched a grenade and got the crash. It may be related to the fact I've noticed when you blow up enemies, there is a black 'artifact' like gib that pops out.
Last edited by Al Capwn on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purplstuph

Post by Purplstuph »

Rinnegatamante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:35 pm
Purplstuph wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm Quake sometimes gets an error r_drawsprite: no such frame.
You shouldn't get that error if you disable the smooth animations option in Options menu.
I disabled smooth animations and I'm still getting the r_drawsprite thing along with a crash. Seems to be caused mostly by explosions and under liquids.
Vash2k6

Post by Vash2k6 »

Rinnegatamante wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:34 pm
tr0ut wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 am After updating to vitaQuake 4.0, the app simply refuses to load id1 (files taken from my GOG copy).
When I try to launch it, it instantly closes down and in ux0:data/Quake I get a log.txt that says "W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad"
It used to work before I updated to 4.0.

This is how id1 looks like. Is there any fix for it?
Steam data files work fine, on vitaQuake GitHub i uploaded my gfx.wad file just in case.
I think I can clear this whole thing up: vitaQuake is upset with the pak files having all uppercase letters. I don't know if it's a fat filesystem problem, the fact that I'm using a memory card or what, but I ran into this exact error yesterday.

I don't really know a whole lot about c, but common.c and host_cmd.c implement functions to handle paks. I saw the CheckForMod function in sys_psp2.c as well and while it goes about the task differently, I wonder if the issue is actually rather some filesystem related problem?

I work a lot in QuakeSpasm and I also manage my own Quake resource sets. I patched my 1.01 disk copy to 1.06 and found that it is, bit-for-bit, the version of the resources distributed on GOG, even though the patched DOS and glQuake clients report version 1.09+ in the console.

Anyway, the Steam version is slightly different, but I recall unpacking them and finding only a couple texture size differences. My point is that it wasn't until I changed the paks on my Vita memory card to lower case that the game was able to load them, even the "clean" paks.

A probable cause of Purplstuph's registration problem would be:

Code: Select all

id1/pak0.pak
id1/PAK1.PAK
The game would not be registered (common.c) because pop.lmp is in id1/pak1.pak/gfx which would have been skipped due to being upper case.

Oh but Rinnegatamante,I just wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work! I just got my Vita yesterday and I've already been nosing around your source to build a new Quake cfgset. The game runs superbly, by the way!!
riblad_om

Post by riblad_om »

Not sure if this a known issue: having the water opacity set to anything but fully opaque causes major glitches for me.

Return to “HENkaku”