Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[WIP] Snes9x 1.43 port - CATSFC-libretro-vita

Rejuvenate is a native homebrew platform for PS Vita. Read more about Rejuvenate here.
skogaby

[WIP] Snes9x 1.43 port - CATSFC-libretro-vita

Post by skogaby »

Hey guys,

I know I've previously released Snes9xNextVITA, but this time I've decided to port a new emulator to the Vita: CATSFC-libretro-vita. Right now, it currently has roughly the same features as Snes9xNextVITA. However, Snes9xNextVITA was based on Snes9x 1.52. This is based on Snes9x 1.43. While using an earlier version will likely introduce new bugs in some games, this version is *significantly* faster in almost every game I've played. I can get consistent full speed in both Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with this version.

NOTE: This will likely only work under Unity PSM, due to RAM limitations of non-Unity Rejuvenate. I haven't tested it with anything but Rejuvenate for Unity PSM.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a0h7h ... 150823.elf
Github: https://github.com/skogaby/CATSFC-libretro

From the Github readme:
CATSFC-libretro-vita

Based on:
CATSFC version 1.36, 2013-06-16
https://github.com/libretro/CATSFC-libretro

A Super Nintendo emulator for PlayStation VITA, run through the native VITA
hack: Rejuvenate

Based on:
* Snes9x 1.43, by the Snes9x team (with research by the ZSNES folks, anomie,
zsKnight, etc.)
* NDSSFC 1.06, by the Supercard team (porting to the MIPS processor)
* BAGSFC, by BassAceGold (improving over NDSSFC)
* CATSFC, by ShadauxCat and Nebuleon (improving over BAGSFC)
* CATSFC-libretro, a libretro-compliant port of CATSFC

# Installation

Run the emulator using the Rejuvenate for PSM Unity hack. This emulator will
likely not run under non-Unity Rejuvenate, due to RAM limitations

# Usage

Use FTPVita (or similar) to copy over ROM files to your PSVITA system. The ROMs
can be anywhere on the filesystem. Once the ROMs are on your device, run the
emulator. The emulator will present a touch-based file selector for choosing
a game to load.

Once in-game, if you'd like to choose another game, press UP + TRIANGLE +
L-TRIGGER + R-TRIGGER at the same time.

# Compilation

This emulator is configured to build with the PSP2SDK. Might possibly be
migrating to vita-toolchain in the future. Also requires the following:

vita_portlibs: https://github.com/xerpi/vita_portlibs
vita2dlib: https://github.com/xerpi/vita2dlib

# Future plans

* Select files using either buttons or touch
* Mouse and Super Scope support
* Better menu with configurable emulation options
* Save state support
* Possibly more...
Advertising
EchoDev

Re: [WIP] Snes9x 1.43 port - CATSFC-libretro-vita

Post by EchoDev »

Awesome work. Even Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island which requires a special chip is working (Not fullspeed but ok can't have everything)
Advertising
TheGrandPubaa

Post by TheGrandPubaa »

I haven't tested it extensively as I just loaded this new version(regression) of the emulator, but i'm very impressed with the speed of Star Fox. It's actually faster than stock hardware. Perhaps a framelimiter might be in order? Great stuff, although i'm sad we don't have the horsepower to have the more accurate version of SNES9X. Please keep up the fantastic work!

*Edit: Super Mario All Stars has an odd bug/glitch where the buttons don't work once you start one of the four games. Also, Super Mario RPG starts out running great but doesn't make it in-game(black screen during the opening cutscene where the Princess is captured by Bowser).
neko0o

Post by neko0o »

Great work, thanks for it Skogaby! ;)
Lucif3r

Post by Lucif3r »

Awesome, Yoshis island is more than playable now. Still suffers from slowdowns here and there, and the average fps is in the low-50's which is a huge step upward from the 30ish fps the other version gave.
Yes, I have noticed a few graphical glitches here and there, but nothing even remotely gamebreaking

Keep up the good job 8-)
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

Awesome!
I tried playing Chrono Trigger: Chrimson Echos and it's running at 60 fps! Well, the fps is bouncing around a lot. But that first digit is 6 most of the time!

Some weird stuff is going on with the BGM, but it's very minor. Also, I think it may be going over 60 fps at some points, but don't quote me on that!

Keep up the great work!

Also, please add an option to remove the fps display.
please reply
pablovita

Post by pablovita »

This is great stuff! Thank you so much for this, skogaby!!! You are submitting it to the Revitalize Competition, right?!

Been playing the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy:

DKC1 - no problems at all, solid 60 fps throughout.
DKC2 - minor sound stuttering and some frame dips down to around 55 fps. Graphics are perfect.
DKC3 - frequent sound stuttering, but frame rate is solid most of the time. Some major slowdowns in the first "snow themed" level. (But graphics are glitch-free!)
Overall already has better performance than Snes9x TYL on PSP :-) Especially since running DKC games on PSP requires speed hacks and deactivating certain graphics layers...
skogaby

Post by skogaby »

pablovita wrote:This is great stuff! Thank you so much for this, skogaby!!! You are submitting it to the Revitalize Competition, right?!

Been playing the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy:

DKC1 - no problems at all, solid 60 fps throughout.
DKC2 - minor sound stuttering and some frame dips down to around 55 fps. Graphics are perfect.
DKC3 - frequent sound stuttering, but frame rate is solid most of the time. Some major slowdowns in the first "snow themed" level. (But graphics are glitch-free!)
Overall already has better performance than Snes9x TYL on PSP :-) Especially since running DKC games on PSP requires speed hacks and deactivating certain graphics layers...
Glad to hear it! I'm working on improvements when I can, in my spare time.

I'm not submitting this to Revitalize. I make enough money, I don't need a cash reward. This is just a hobby. Besides, I didn't write the emulator, someone else did the hard work. I just ported CATSFC to the Vita :P
reprep

Post by reprep »

@skogaby: Isn't CATSFC optimized to work on MIPS processors? I enjoy it on my dstwo which has a MIPS processor inside.
exsinner

Post by exsinner »

This is actually better than your previous port. Almost 60fps on all rom, can we somehow have the screen stretch to fullscreen while still maintain the aspect ratio

Return to “Rejuvenate”