Wagic 0.16 Campaign/Mod contest - 100$ to win!

A place to find all custom made campaigns, mods and to discuss the story mode and how to create mods.
wololo
Site Admin

Wagic 0.16 Campaign/Mod contest - 100$ to win!

Post by wololo »

Update: the contest is over, and vote is going on. Vote for your favorite entry here: http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/09/18/wagi ... ite-entry/

Wagic is extremely customizable. As you can see on these forums, we have dozens of users contributing with new sets, themes, pictures...
One specificity of Wagic is the possibility to create stories ("campaigns"), and in Wagic 0.16 we improved the flexibility of the engine to make it easier to create mods.

Creating mods and campaigns is not an easy task, But it can be extremely rewarding, because with enough dedication it will allow you to create your own card game.
Of course we plan to increase the flexibility of wagic, and eventually, hopefully, people will be able to create completely different card games from scratch without a single line of code, using the Wagic engine.

We're not there yet, but I want this flexibility in Wagic to get the attention it deserves. In order to bring love to campaigns and mods, I am throwing this small contest.
100$ is not so big, but I hope it's good enough for a first contest.

What is it?
This is a small community contest in which contestants have to create a campaign or a mod compatible with Wagic 0.16. The winner will get 100$ from me, either via paypal or an amazon gift card, whichever he/she prefers.

Who wins?
I will probably organize a poll here on the Wagic forums, but the final word will be mine. I will be the one deciding who wins the contest, but I will take the community's opinion into account :)

This sounds great, how do I join the contest?
Follow these steps:
- create either a campaign (in the form of a folder that goes in the "res/campaigns" folder of wagic) or a mod (a complete new game with new rules) compatible with Wagic 0.16
- Create a new thread in this forum describing your mod/campaign, with a download link. Screenshots are a nice plus!
- post a link to your thread as a reply to this thread. I will progressively edit this topic with the list of contestants
- Deadline for posting your entry is September 15, 2011

Important additional rules
- You must own the rights to all the intellectual contents of your mod/campaign, especially graphics and musics. Creative commons is ok as long as you follow the rules of this license. You are free to reuse the gpl/creative commons content from Wagic 0.16. This means for example if you create a mod that you can reuse our fonts, our backgrounds, the players avatars, etc...
- We will most likely add some of the best entries to Wagic's official releases, do not enter the contest if you don't want us to reuse your work in the future!
- You are free to update your mod/campaign as long as you want. I will judge based on the latest version when the deadline is reached
- you are allowed to enter with a campaign/mod that you created prior to this announcement.

what else?
- Rules are subject to change anytime without prior warning, however if you want some credibility check: This is my first time personally running such a contest for Wagic, but I've been recently managing a much larger contest for PSP homebrews called the genesis competition, so I can be trusted.
- Feel free to ask for help on the forums. The goal of this contest is also to improve Wagic, share knowledge, and overall have fun :) . The mods/campaign system is not easy to use, so it is perfectly alright to ask for help!

List of entries
Warning, your entry can be removed from the list at anytime if we realize it is not following the rules!

Temple of Wololo by Vikta
Knights and Dragons and Elves and Dwarves by jwilkes99999
Thicker than Water by Entertherat
Vikta

Temple of Wololo

Post by Vikta »

This should be interesting. I guess I'll chuck in my entry as an early bird.

Temple of Wololo Download Thread

A simple 'story' where you can donate credits to the Temple of Wololo and you'll either receive a random card, unlock a new set or nothing at all depending on your donation size. Don't worry if you can't afford a donation, the temple currently accepts IOU's which you'll have to work off before you can purchase new cards in the shop.

Feel free to sample the code.
Shadowfireomega

Re: Wagic 0.16 Campaign/Mod contest - 100$ to win!

Post by Shadowfireomega »

With a Campaign can we use existing cards, or do we have to make our own?
oh, and how exactly do you make a Campaign?
Wagic: the Homebrew Image Pack Easy Installers

"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, I would never learn anything, and that would be a sad life." -Benjamin Fisher
check out my blog http://shadowfireomega.blogspot.com/
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Vikta, welcome to the contest and thanks for being the first contestant!
Shadowfireomega wrote:With a Campaign can we use existing cards, or do we have to make our own?
Yes, you can use existing cards from the game. If you want to add new cards, feel free to do it, but in that case you might be better off creating a mod.

There are campaign samples in the Res/campaigns folder of wagic.
To create one, you basically need to create a story.xml file (that you can edit with any text editor). That xml file describes a "story" and a list of "duels". Each duel is in its own subfolder, and describes a set of rules (basically a "scenario" describing the cards you and your opponent have in play, starting life points, winning conditions, and any additional rule such as "my opponent's creatures all get +1/+1"). These rules are fairly straightforward if you have already coded some cards for the game, but they are not necessary to write your campaign. You can also download some campaigns here such as metal scars and others, to see how it's done. Poke in the files with a text editor. I will try to write a better tutorial in the days to come if I find some free time.
AzNFrEnZy

Post by AzNFrEnZy »

I shall post a campaign of a game I have created myself just for the fun of this contest :)

Need to do a lot of tweaking tho
Risewild

Post by Risewild »

wololo wrote:Vikta, welcome to the contest and thanks for being the first contestant!
Shadowfireomega wrote:With a Campaign can we use existing cards, or do we have to make our own?
Yes, you can use existing cards from the game. If you want to add new cards, feel free to do it, but in that case you might be better off creating a mod.

There are campaign samples in the Res/campaigns folder of wagic.
To create one, you basically need to create a story.xml file (that you can edit with any text editor). That xml file describes a "story" and a list of "duels". Each duel is in its own subfolder, and describes a set of rules (basically a "scenario" describing the cards you and your opponent have in play, starting life points, winning conditions, and any additional rule such as "my opponent's creatures all get +1/+1"). These rules are fairly straightforward if you have already coded some cards for the game, but they are not necessary to write your campaign. You can also download some campaigns here such as metal scars and others, to see how it's done. Poke in the files with a text editor. I will try to write a better tutorial in the days to come if I find some free time.
I would love to make a campaign for this contest, but I have no idea how it's done :P but now after I read this words I am inclined to go and check other campaigns and see how they were made :) I doubt I will know how to make one in time for the contest, but as long as I eventually find out how to make them it will be worth it :D .
morpheous1777

Post by morpheous1777 »

Basic Story Template

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3172

Here is a basic story template for anyone to use, just threw it together,
if you have any recommendations let me know
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

morpheous1777 wrote:Basic Story Template

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3172

Here is a basic story template for anyone to use, just threw it together,
if you have any recommendations let me know
Is this something you want to enter the contest with, or are you building something based on that? Can't wait to see the result :)
Vikta

Post by Vikta »

Wow! Front page... totally awesome :D

It feels kinda bad being the only entrant so far. Hopefully people will see this and realise they don't need something mind-blowing, just something.
jwilkes99999

Post by jwilkes99999 »

Is Temple of Wololo still the only entry? I'd like to take a shot at it but I'm not sure I can throw something together in 3 days.