How to make campaigns

A place to find all custom made campaigns, mods and to discuss the story mode and how to create mods.
Saftur

How to make campaigns

Post by Saftur »

Hi, I'm new to Wagic, and I was wondering where I could go to learn how to make a Wagic campaign. Are there tutorials somewhere? Also, I need to know how to find card ids for the campaigns.
Darth Agnon

Re: How to make campaigns

Post by Darth Agnon »

A good place to start is by downloading some of the Wagic campaigns available here on the boards, playing through them as far as possible (so you know what is possible), and examining their file structures (so you know how they are built). The best (only) extra Wagic campaigns that I know of: "Metal Scars", "Journey to the Eye", "Thicker Than Water v1.1", "Wagic Tournament" (WT crashes easily), "Temple of Wololo" (ToW isn't a campaign as such, but a method of unlocking sets/cards for credits, removing the need for excessive grinding and cheating), "Brothers War". And, of course, don't forget the two campaigns included with Wagic, "01. Where it all begins" and "Game Manual". I will follow up with posts explaining the uses and special considerations to take for each campaign. Here are links to the original maker's pages:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3244&hilit=thicker+than+water
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3545&p=26187&hilit ... ent#p26187
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2294&hilit=metal+scars
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1816
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3120&hilit=temple+of+wololo
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1851&hilit=brothers+war

NB. If you are running Wagic version 0.18.6 (last official release) or later (unofficial nightly builds) (you should be), some of the campaigns will need fixing before they will run properly. I will tell you how in later posts.
Last edited by Darth Agnon on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like Wagic? Check out my custom themes, etc. at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66181
Wololo's article: http://wololo.net/2016/07/14/new-wagic- ... rth-agnon/
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

(I assume you are playing Wagic on your PSP?)
Installing Wagic campaigns:

Step 1. Download the campaigns from the links I provided.
Step 2. Unzip/unrar all the campaign folders.
Step 3. Move/delete folders as necessary, so that you end up with the following: for each campaign, you must have one folder called [insert campaign name here], with all the subfolders/files provided inside it. E.g. for campaign "Metal Scars", you must have a folder called "Metal Scars", with the following inside it: folder "_gfx", folder "Infect", folder "Putrefax", folder "Rats", folder "SOMB", xml file "story". The same structure must be ensured for all the other campaigns, so no "metalscarsdownload/Metal Scars/[files and folders]", only "[campaign name]/[files and folders]"
IMPORTANT!!! Step 4. Refer to my upcoming posts (one per campaign) explaining any fixes that need doing to get it working, special considerations, etc.
Step 5. Open up your Wagic directory (should be something like: <Removable Disk (X:)/PSP/GAME/WTH/> )
Step 6. There should be two folders, one called "Res", the other called "User".
Step 7. Browse to </.../WTH/User/campaigns/> (NB *User* campaigns; there is a campaigns folder under "Res", but placing campaigns there won't let them work properly)
Step 8. Paste your campaign folders (folder "Metal Scars", folder "Wagic Tournament", etc.) into the </.../WTH/User/campaigns/> folder
Step 9. Load up Wagic, go to "Story" mode, and load up campaign of your choice. Campaigns will save what campaign stage you are at (i.e. which card battle you last completed/are in the middle of), so you don't have to complete them in one sitting. Savepoints are as you begin a card battle.
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "Wagic Tournament"

NOTE: All Wagic campaigns save user progress at the beginning of a card battle/duel

This campaign is about a Wagic tournament where you pick a deck to start off with (U/W control deck, or R/W Boros angels deck) and play through a series of card battles ("duels" henceforth), improving your deck as you go along. It is fun, playable and completable with either deck choice, its only drawback being it crashes easily. Normally, you can complete one (maybe two) duels before the Wagic GUI starts lagging and glitching horribly. Often, to quit, it is necessary to reset the Wagic GUI (by pressing START+[square] simultaneously on the PSP), to bring up the pause menu, from which you *must* quit to main menu (don't worry, your progress is saved) and quit Wagic (trying a different game mode or anything can just lead to more lagging and glitching). Wagic will work perfectly upon restart (unless you've done something crazy with your Memory Stick and/or data); you can even continue "Wagic Tournament" more or less where you left off. I don't know how to fix this campaign, if it is possible. It works well enough, and the U/W control deck is great fun.
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "Thicker Than Water" (v1.1)

Story: You play wandering mage Sasha, who starts a new job serving a king and his puny son, Prince Finny. Alongside the Prince and your travelling companion Gregor, you must defeat the terrible evils which are threatening the kingdom.

Gameplay: A long, involved story and difficult standard duels, with a wide variety of decks from Lorwyn to Legacy cards and the Power 9 make up this brilliant campaign.

Technical importance: Examine the campaign's "story.xml", which is a good example of how to structure a simple campaign. You could, for your first campaign, copypasta a story.xml from another campaign, and edit the story text and link to your own images and duels (more explanations how later). Also, pay attention to the custom set folder "TTW". You may want to add custom sets to your campaigns. Inside the folder, there is a file called "_cards.dat". Open this with Notepad (or equivalent) to view the structuring of custom cards. You asked about card IDs? In this custom _cards.dat, the card IDs are stated clearly. For official sets, the IDs are also found in the _cards.dat files for the respective set (all sets should be at </.../WTH/Res/sets/> OR at </.../WTH/Res/core[insert Wagic version number][might be a zip file]/sets/> )

Issues: It is very difficult in the later levels, with one artifact/robot deck being almost unbeatable. Other than that, perfectly functional. It includes a custom card set (required to play).

Fixes: The campaign includes a custom cart set in a folder called "TTW". This must be pasted into the following folder </.../WTH/Res/sets/> OR </.../WTH/Res/core[insert Wagic version here][might be a zip file]/sets> for the campaign to work. Also, the campaign doesn't unlock this set for use outside of the campaign, so if you want to use all the custom cards in regular AI duels, edit the campaign's "story.xml" file with Notepad (or equivalent text editor) and add the following line

<reward type="unlockset" value="TTW"></reward>

at the point in the campaign where you would like to unlock the set (NB the code must be within a section of the campaign marked by <page id="[name of campaign stage]"> and </page> ). I recommend you add the line somewhere at the very end of the campaign, as placing it earlier is a bit cheaty. Thus, when you finally complete the campaign, it will unlock its custom set for you to use in your duels.
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "Metal Scars"

Story: This campaign tells a simplified version of the beginning of the MTG Mirrodin/Phyrexia story arc.

Gameplay: You play Green, White and Blue/Red decks against Black/Green decks in several normal duels and one special duel. Enemies are Phyrexians and co., you play the native elves, leonin, Myr and golems of Mirrodin. Overall, an easy campaign.

Technical importance: Examine the story.xml to see a good template for a simple short campaign. You could just change the picture links, story lines (NB character display limit - keep text minimal) and reward, maybe add links to some mp3s (in a "_sfx" folder) for soundtrack, deck links, and make a small simple campaign of your own. It also offers an introduction to special duels in campaign mode, where you must solve a single duel situation to win the duel (see its "Rats" duel)

IMPORTANT! Issues: This is an old campaign, and so is not playable "as is". It will need a little editing to get it working properly on Wagic version 0.18.6 and up. Also, for this rather short and easy campaign, you get by default, 5000 credits as a reward (a bit overpowered).

Fixes: General campaign fix - go through the campaign duel folders "Infect", "Putrefax", "SOMB" and add as necessary the following lines to the "rules.txt" for each:

include classic.txt
[INIT]
mode=mtg

The "Rats" duel rules.txt needs editing, too, but as it is a special duel, with a custom win condition and cards already in play, it needs a different code pasting into its rules:

include mtg.txt
[INIT]
mode=mtg

Finally, if you want to decrease the reward credits for the campaign, edit the following line in its "story.xml":

<reward type="credits" value="4000">Here are 4000 credits for your achievements.</reward>

You must change the reward number, so it looks like the following:

<reward type="credits" value="1000">Here are 1000 credits for your achievements.</reward>

See? Simples. (Don't forget to save changes) You can actually change the numbers to whatever you like (if you like to cheat, you could put 9999 instead of 1000 credits as the reward)

PS. If you wish the campaign would unlock the set "SOM"/ "Scars of Mirrodin" (or similar), add the following reward line at the end (following the rules for reward adding discussed under the Campaign Note: Thicker Than Water). This custom reward line is based off the reward coding from the campaign "Temple of Wololo")

<reward type="unlockset" value="SOM">Write an appropriate reward message about unlocking a new set called SOM/Scars of Mirrodin here.</reward>

More details about custom rewards in the next post, covering the campaign "Temple of Wololo".
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "Temple of Wololo"

This "campaign" is a campaign only in that it appears under "Story" mode in Wagic. It is really a gameplay extender, making it easier (?) to unlock new sets and get new cards. In it, you can pay credits to receive rewards (see its "story.xml" to get an idea what sort of rewards you'll get, or to edit variables such as cost, etc.

It is an important "campaign", as parts of its code is adaptable as custom rewards for your campaigns. E.g. You want to unlock a random set as a reward for playing your campaign? Copypasta the following line from the Temple of Wololo (be sure to edit the message to something of your own, leaving ${SET} intact):

<reward type="unlockset">The secrets of ${SET} have been unlocked to you.</reward>

You want to unlock a *specific* set as a reward in your campaign? Copypasta:

<reward type="unlockset" value="SET">Your message here</reward>

where SET is the desired set's three/four letter abbreviation (look in the directory </.../WTH/Res/sets/> OR </.../WTH/Res/core[insert Wagic version number][might be a zip file]/sets/> to get an idea what is what) E.g. SOM is Scars of Mirrodin, ALA is Shards of Alara, JOU is Journey into Nyx, etcetera ad magicum...

You want players to pay an "admission fee" in credits before playing your campaign (hey, there's a novel idea!)? Copy from the Temple of Wololo, editing the message (NB the negative 500 as reward value, equivalent to paying 500 credits):

<reward type="credits" value="-500">Thank you very much.</reward>

Similar applies if you want to give the player a single card as a reward, etc. Just investigate the story.xml Once you have tried the Temple and looked at the xml, it will make sense, and your hacker instincts will help you find the right line of code.

This is a very important campaign, both in that it lets you unlock all the Wagic sets one by one, for a price, without as much grinding as before, allowing you collection completion without cheating, but code-wise, it is useful to the budding campaign maker to reward the players of his campaign.
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "Journey to the Eye"

Story: As the maker "ph34rbot" said in its description, " I really like the comics of the planeswalkers and I made an adaptation of one featuring chandra, following the story of the comic and made some flavour decks to battle against". It tells a short story (supposedly "To be continued...") via pictures from a Planeswalker comic of Chandra travelling to an encampment somewhere in Zendikar and braving the wilds with useless guides.

Gameplay: A few normal MTG duels with fiery, Chandra-themed red decks vs. an assortment of enemies (mostly creatures of the wilds).

Technical Importance: This campaign uses full screen images to tell the story. If you want spectacular landscapes, comic pages or other full screen art in your campaigns, you'll want to take a look at this campaign's story.xml. Also, it is a very simple campaign, so would make a good template for your first campaign.

Issues/fixes: needs fixing to work on modern Wagic, using the same method as previously explained. You should be able to do it, if you have been following the tutorial so far.
Spoiler: just make sure the rules.txt for every duel begins as follows:

include classic.txt
[INIT]
mode=mtg

Further fixes/modding: this campaign also gives you too many credits for completing it. Edit the reward money just as explained in the notes for "Metal Scars". This campaign also takes place with Chandra on Zendikar, so you may want to modify it to unlock the set ZEN (Zendikar) or JVC (Jace vs Chandra) upon completion. Please refer to my earlier post, explaining how to do this to the campaign "Metal Scars" and apply the process to this one.
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Step 4. Campaign Note: "The Brothers' War" (commonly known as "Brothers War")

Story: This campaign tells the MTG story of the war between Urza and Mishra, from the early days of MTG.

Gameplay: A long, involved campaign with many special duels, where you have to solve an MTG puzzle or accomplish a specific action. It is, however, very difficult, such that I have not got further than the first mission yet (what I know I have gleaned by reading the forums, looking at the filesystem of this campaign, etc.).

Technical Importance: This campaign contains many different special duels. Examine the rules.txt files for each to get ideas about custom game victory/loss conditions and other such special effects. Also, the campaign mission select screen involves selecting duels from points on a world map, which looks amazing (a bit like Street Fighter mission select, except in a completely different game!), and if you check out this campaign's story.xml, you should be able to incorporate such cool features in your campaigns.

Issues: I personally use version 1.6, fixed to work on Wagic 0.18.6+. There is a version 1.7 available (but from the description, it seems incomplete and for devs). Anyway, as usual, it was made for an old version of Wagic, and so will not work properly on 0.18.6 and up.

Fixes: check every single special duel's rules.txt and paste in the following, as needed (e.g. if part of (you're getting the hang of this now, aren't you?):

include mtg.txt
[INIT]
mode=mtg

If a duel is a normal duel (you can tell because normal duel folders have a rules.txt, a deck.txt and opponent_deck.txt, whereas special duels have only rules.txt), check and add as needed the same code lines as above, except with "include classic.txt".

Anyway, that concludes this section of the tutorial. Next up, Thou Reader, thou shalt start making your own campaigns, basing the code, etc. off the guts of these campaigns I have explained to you. Don't forget to take a look at the files of the two campaigns included in Wagic 0.18.6+ by default: "Game Manual" and "01. Where it all begins", which can provide you with insights into more custom win/loss conditions, a stage select menu and more. Those, however, I leave to you to discover (they are located somewhere around </.../WTH/Res/core_[insert your Wagic version number]/campaigns/>)
Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon »

Coming soon to this tutorial...
A Wagic Campaign Maker Resource Pack, with sample folder structure and a readme in MS Word format with many commonly used codes and their variables highlighted (so you will be able to make your own campaigns by copypasting codes from this document, you will know what many of the codes will do and where to edit them (and how to edit them) for a desired effect. I am currently compiling the code and variables into the document.

Live long and prosper!

Darth Agnon