Knights & Dragons & Elves & Dwarves (KDED): A Mod/Campaign

A place to find all custom made campaigns, mods and to discuss the story mode and how to create mods.
jwilkes99999

Knights & Dragons & Elves & Dwarves (KDED): A Mod/Campaign

Post by jwilkes99999 »

Stemming from my Knights & Dragons image pack I now give you Knights & Dragons & Elves & Dwarves or KDED. Its base is the Knights & Dragons mod created by wololo. It is an expansion to his mod adding two new sets (Elves and Dwarves) and also a campaign as there is now a story that unlocks the elf and dwarf sets upon completion.

Changes from Base
1. Two new sets added (Elves and Dwarves).
2. Some changes to the original sets for balancing.
3. Six new decks added (one for each hero - ai not perfect in new decks...).
a. Now two starting decks as each set contains two heroes and two decks (up from 2 heroes and 1 deck)
4. Images for Human and Orc set (everything on the cards is open source so its distributable).
5. Human campaign that takes you into elven territory to defend against invaders(Beginning of KDED lore).

Future Plans
I. A second campaign taking place at the same time as the first from the orc perspective
II. Images for the Elf and Dwarf sets
III. Additional sets (no more races planned at this time though)
IV. Implement Deck Building/Shop
V. Further balancing with additional playtesting

Original Description of Mod by Wololo
What is it
Knights and Dragons is a little turn based strategy game which borrows gameplay concepts from games such as Warcraft, or Szei's mod (which cannot be found anymore, unfortunately).
You basically have a Castle to defend (represented by your avatar), and for that, you have units that can attack the opponent's castle, and buildings that can create units.
People who played wagic previously won't be surprised by the controls, but the rules are fairly different to what you're used to:
- Colored mana is replaced by 4 resources: gold, wood, meat, and mana
- Units don't have a color, or rather, their color is just a visual indicator of what they do. For example, the Miner provides gold, and its frame color is therefore gold. The woodcutter provides wood, and its color is green. Army units are usually represented in grey, and building are represented in brown, etc...
- There is no real concept of "deck" or deck building. Instead, you choose a hero and their army, but independently of your deck, you can build your army from the ground up, just with the elements on the battlefield. There is no shop or Deck editor.
- resources don't wear out unless you use them
- units that are damaged keep the damage and do not get magically healed at the end of a turn
- "activating" a unit greys it out, it does not "tap" the unit
- Resources are not provided by activating some units, rather, the amount of resource producing units is directly related to the amount of resources you get at the beginning of each turn.
How to install:
rename your existing wagic_res or Res folder into something else, such as "Res_backup" or something. Instead of that folder, put the contents of the zip downloaded above
Then just run Wagic normally.
Download Link
I had to upload my file to MegaUpload because my slow internet was not letting me upload using the attachment option on the forum.
I'll come back and attach the file directly once I get on a faster connection.

KDED V1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I4CUTK3S

Screenshots

Zethfox

Re: Knights & Dragons & Elves & Dwarves (KDED): A Mod/Campai

Post by Zethfox »

i love it! thanks for doing this!
jwilkes99999

Post by jwilkes99999 »

I had a lot of fun doing it and I can't wait until I get a little more free time so I can write the next chapter and do the card images for the new sets. Now if only I was better at programming AI because most of mine suck right now. I know how the decks should be played but when I tried coding that it pretty much broke the AI every time, so I just reverted to basic strategy and some of them still don't play even basically correct.
bigman11

Post by bigman11 »

I don't know why but it crashes every time at the start of a duel.

psp-3000 6.60 LME-1.6

I renamed wagic_res to something else and I changed "Res" which I downloaded to "'wagic_res'."
jwilkes99999

Post by jwilkes99999 »

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I haven't tried it on psp. Just computer and android. Has anyone else had any problems like this? What version of Wagic are you running?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

It took me a while but I have a few comments on this, and on the "Knights and Dragons" mod in general:

1 - your images are great. One BIG problem is that the "design" of the cards is patented by Wizards of the coast. If you are using MTG Studio, can you maybe find a different "template" that does not contain anything looking like WotC content? This would allow us to actually distribute the card images with the mod
2 - About balancing the game in general: I've "discovered" while writing this mod that high life points and attack points like what we have in this mod is not very useful. It makes it difficult for the human brain, and difficult to read on the screen. I suggest we divide life points, creatures attack/defense, etc... by about 10 to make it easier to read. It will make it look "closer" to MTG, but there's a reason they chose numbers between 0 and 9 in the first place.

I unfortunately don't have the time to maintain this mod for now, but if you have interest in it, please feel free to update/maintain it, you've done a great job so far. Hopefully I'll have some free time again in a few months to help improve this mod. As you said, it could be a mod we would be using directly on Android.
jwilkes99999

Post by jwilkes99999 »

wololo wrote:It took me a while but I have a few comments on this, and on the "Knights and Dragons" mod in general:

1 - your images are great. One BIG problem is that the "design" of the cards is patented by Wizards of the coast. If you are using MTG Studio, can you maybe find a different "template" that does not contain anything looking like WotC content? This would allow us to actually distribute the card images with the mod
2 - About balancing the game in general: I've "discovered" while writing this mod that high life points and attack points like what we have in this mod is not very useful. It makes it difficult for the human brain, and difficult to read on the screen. I suggest we divide life points, creatures attack/defense, etc... by about 10 to make it easier to read. It will make it look "closer" to MTG, but there's a reason they chose numbers between 0 and 9 in the first place.

I unfortunately don't have the time to maintain this mod for now, but if you have interest in it, please feel free to update/maintain it, you've done a great job so far. Hopefully I'll have some free time again in a few months to help improve this mod. As you said, it could be a mod we would be using directly on Android.
I was using Magic Set Editor, I'll have to look into MTGS. I definitely want to make an open source product so I'll do whatever needs to be done.

I'll have to consider dividing everything by 10. I think I'd rather balance the numbers we have now rather than divide them all by 10 because that would limit the numbers between 1-12 and I like the additional combo's it leaves open (such as blocking 12 & 13 against 25, which rounded would become 1 & 1 vs 3). This was something I was looking to do over Christmas break. If I can manage to finish it in time I should be able to release a new version of KDED that's completely different from any of the previous versions. The only problem I'm going to have is I realized when I was creating my initial mod that I'm horrible at writing AI battle script. I may need to enlist help from someone who understands the process better to script the new decks, as they are underpowered at the moment due to lack of strategy.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

jwilkes99999 wrote: I was using Magic Set Editor, I'll have to look into MTGS.
My bad, I actually meant MSE
jwilkes99999

Post by jwilkes99999 »

wololo wrote:
jwilkes99999 wrote: I was using Magic Set Editor, I'll have to look into MTGS.
My bad, I actually meant MSE
Awesome, so I don't have to learn a new program. I've already got a few open source templates I can look at adapting.

I'm going back and playing KDED some more because its been a while since I've played and I'm already remembering and getting new balancing ideas for the game. I can't wait to get started on the project. Only 3 days left until Christmas holidays.

I will say this. I'd like to eventually make it so that people can buy/sell a collection of cards and build their own deck so if you are planning on shipping this mod as the wagic default res on android the shop interface may have to be improved, but maybe I can help with that once I've got some android development under my belt. Even if I can't help, that stage of development is so far down the line while I felt it deserved mentioning it hardly deserves a concern at this point.
Arcteares

Post by Arcteares »

link broken :cry: