Custom AI decks UPDATED 2013/08/27

All created AI or player decks. All discussion related to Wagic AI deck competion and results.
Psyringe

Re: Custom decks (Player & AI) UPDATED 2009/10/01

Post by Psyringe »

Yep - Moat was always a strong card, but it also has become increasingly powerful over the years. It reduces the effectiveness of all evasion abilities but one (Flying), and naturally the card became more powerful with every new evasion ability added to the game (shadow, horsemanship, now intimidation).

I was tempted to use Moat in many of the white decks I am/was building, but in the end I'm mainly building themed decks, so it's not too hard for me to leave a very effective card out if it doesn't fit the theme. The decision will certainly be harder for someone who tries to build a very *effective* white deck. :)

Regarding feedback: I haven't played your decks yet - I was a bit afraid of copying your ideas afterwards. While I don't think that copying deck ideas is a bad thing (it's inevitable anyway in a game with a finite set of pieces played by millions of people, and I wouldn't see any problem in someone taking my decks, changing some cards, and publishing the result, especially not if I were given credit), currently my main goal is to increase the variety of decks in Wagic, and for that purpose it's probably better if I don't look too closely at what other Wagic deck builders do. At least I thought so, I may very well be wrong. And I'm feeling the lack of feedback myself, so perhaps I should revisit that policy and we can help each other out with feedback. :)
cilindr0

Post by cilindr0 »

No AI version for new decks? T_T
Niegen

Post by Niegen »

The new decks are intended for the AI ;)
cilindr0

Post by cilindr0 »

Nice, I haven't seen the "(AI compatible)" text that you have wrote in the other decks, i will check them :)
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Hi,
I've been playing around with some combo decks but haven't been able to produce anything significant.
was looking along the lines of open the vaults/artifact or replenish/enchantments. any suggestions are appreciated.
oh and for your convenience here's a complete set of 63 AI decks. Took them from this fine thread and many older ones, think of it as a one stop upgrade of 63 enemies.
all the best rgds Jeremy
updated it below
Last edited by jeremy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Jeremy: You have two identical versions of "Taiga" and two identical versions of "Nightmare" in your file, I think one would be enough. ;) Some other decks might be doubles too, but I haven't looked closely.

Also, I noted that your file has outdated versions of all included decks from the "Creature's Decks" series (and is missing some of the series, but that might be intentional). You can find the updated versions of the decks at the bottom of this post.

Edit: Yes, there are more doubles in the collection - for example, "Elves" and "Plain Green Elf deck" are exactly the same.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

time for me to go scour through the collection, What I did was download every file then just rename them into decks. I wonder if the AI is able to handle combo decks to add some to them.
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

jeremy wrote:I wonder if the AI is able to handle combo decks to add some to them.
The AI can handle combo decks if it doesn't have to "think" while playing them. If it doesn't matter which card of the combo is played first, if the combo doesn't require choosing specific targets, and if the combo doesn't rely on activating specific abilities under specific circumstances, then the AI should be able to handle it. Otherwise it's going to be difficult, but one can always try.

In short, imagine the (current) AI as a player who:
- only sees the mana cost of the cards in its hand, but not the name or effects of the card, although some cards are marked as "good for their target" or "bad for their target"
- generally tries to play the most expensive card it can pay (but won't take all mana sources into account)
- rolls dice to determine which abilities to activate, and when to do so
- rolls dice when determining a target (but uses the info of "this effect is good / bad for the target" if available)

The real Wagic AI is a bit smarter than that, but by and large that's the environment you're working in. So if you want to give the AI a combo, then it should be playable and worthwhile under these circumstances.

I've got some ideas for decks that (imho) would be fun and could implemented if we had a way of specifying a "preferred target" for a card. For example, I have one deck that would give the AI reasonable chance to plop an 8/8 creature onto the battlefield (which then creates further 8/8 tokens) in turn 2, by means of an Entomb / Animate Dead (or Zombify) combo. I think this could be a real jawdropper for the players (especially casual ones who might actually be outsmarted by these moves) if it worked. But that's not currently the focus of Wagic's development - though I'm hopeful for the future. :)
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

[The extension rar has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I did some pruning and also added some new decks in.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

coming back to combo decks, think the computer can handle something like http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... ly/boab/11
basically a discard/return to play a lot of stuff but more specialized as the com won't need utility spells as they're not smart enough. hmm too bad stuff like goblin wielder isn't in the game yet.