Wagic 2.0 - The Revival

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
DeltaManiac

Wagic 2.0 - The Revival

Post by DeltaManiac »

Hi Fellow Devs

I have played Wagic on my psp for quite a while now and really really addicted to it. I came to this BB in search of any ways I (as a developer :geek: ) can contribute to the project and I see that activity here has been following the trend of a line with slope less than 0 ( lame one. i KNOW :oops: ).

I see and understand that wagic is the beautiful baby of a lot of talented Devs and I would like to help this baby grow to be an well groomed adolescent. I recently cloned the repo of github and tried to build the Wagic from source on my system (I did it finally in 2 days on my windows system... vcpp issues :evil: ). While browsing through the code I found out that this project has great potential.

In 2015 the developer community has seen a lot and i mean literally a lot of game engines going free(*cough* Royalty *cough* :roll: ) for indie devs ( unreal 4, cryengine 3, unity 5, [Corona SDK] ) may be we could leverage any of these and revive the wagic project to a whole new level.

I would definitely like to contribute to this project and its revival. Ive tried a lot of CCTG games on my android device (5.5 inch) and nothing gave me the complete satisfaction as playing wagic on my psp (yes.. i know there is wagic on android... and sorry i was not patient enough to attune my self to the controls :cry: ).

I have a few small ideas i would like to share with you guys at your leisure if you think it is worth investing the time.

Like many I am also a hobbyist who has to manage work, school and family but never the less as the quote by Tesla goes
:ugeek:
I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men.
:ugeek:

Regards
Delta

N.B. I am not a cynical *****. I respect your work!! Its awesome. Thanks a million.
sandman423

Re: Wagic 2.0 - The Revival

Post by sandman423 »

I play on my PSP Still to this day and I try and add the new cards and sets as they progress and my PSP works somewhat lack luster with all the freezings that happen but I do VERY much playing Wagic on my PSP because it is Portable and the screen is big enough to enjoy and fun to play all the time...

I can't really play Wagic on my Android very much because for some reason it feels off....the only time it feels good is on my PSP....I have tried the Windows version and it works OK but not my favorite although this game that ALL the Devs put into place has been amazing and I would love to see Wagic come back strong so that we can continue to grow as a community...

We need people to help us keep this up.
adamf9898

Post by adamf9898 »

i play both on windows and on android and i enjoy very much both versions! i also keep the cards updated as possible once new sets come out by getting the image files and the card dat and setname primitive file, etc. and update my main zip files.

i also would like to help out with what i can do but at the time i do not know any coding or such ways i can help but to just play and report bugs, but , i really enjoy the game and this project is best for android in my opinion. any help and all the help is very much appriciated!
may wagic live on! :D
<--adamf9898-->
Djardin

Post by Djardin »

Feel free to fork the Git project and try new stuff. If you find something cool, please contribute it back to the project via pull request.
I spent a lot of time to work on the cross-platform automatic compile, test and build in the cloud. I would be happy to see it working for new features =).
DeltaManiac

Post by DeltaManiac »

I am basically a web developer specialized in php. I did study c and c++ in my college days. I have been going through the code the past few days trying to understand it in its entirety, but alas not much use. I did manage to figure out some bits and pieces here and there but not the entire application.
Is there any documentation available(interaction diagram/ architecture diagram)... I know its a looong shot but still had to ask.

I was thinking with the revival project Wagic could cater to a more multiplayer oriented approach via WebSockets/Web Servers or any such things.

Its just a suggestion like we could have thin clients for different devices/platforms which stores the assets required for the game( this will also help to later enable SP campaigns ) and have a main server which would handle the complex computation/rule engine etc. May be if prospects are good we can possible make this into kinda CTCG MMO :o :o ?

We could also on the thin clients facilitate device to device peer matches like on wifi/bluetooth. An added benefit I see is that it makes Wagic truly cross platform.
So a PSP player could infact actually play with PS3/PC player while on the move and continue the same game on his phone if his PSP Battery dies.

If you feel this idea is batshit crazy do let me know.

Peace Out!!

Delta
Djardin

Post by Djardin »

There are documentation in the wiki https://github.com/WagicProject/wagic/wiki about compiling, developing, testing, coding new cards but there is no architecture document.

Wagic is fundamentally a standalone offline application with some good stuff:
- abstract rules to code new cards easily
- very flexible resource management
- wide range of platform supported
- good test suite
and some less good stuff:
- UI not polished outside of the PSP world
- no MVC clean software design. The M and V are completely entangled. This makes the code of the events triggered by the abstract rules atrocious to follow.
- AI ok for simple games but fundamentally limited

There is no finished multiplayer game support. However, there is a draft of a peer-to-peer support. See NetworkGameObserver and related classes here:
https://github.com/WagicProject/wagic/b ... Observer.h.
adamf9898

Post by adamf9898 »

I think it is a great idea!
<--adamf9898-->
DarkenLX

Post by DarkenLX »

I think unity is the best bet atm for now as the PSvita (PSMsdk) (native?), Android & others support it so it would just come down to porting it to unity and it will do the rest as far as porting to different platforms.
DeltaManiac

Post by DeltaManiac »

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Since my last post i got a bit tied up with office work and spent most of my free time messing around with UE4.
Regarding the Revival project I was thinking whether or not it would make sense to write it entirely as a web application ?
Using Js/HTML5/CSS and if required even webGL.

The pros
Write once run (all most) everywhere. 8-)
Desktop[Browser/NWJS/electron(atom shell))
Mobile devices [Cordova to build it onto the platform specific device, majorly android and ios]

The cons
I totally do not have a single clue how nicely the playstation world plays with Web applications.
Rewrite quite a large part of the application on JS.
Needs a server to be hosted.

It would very encouraging if the initial devs/owners of the project do comeback with their suggestion on wether or not to follow this direction.

Regards
Delta
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

This is a necro but im currently working on a project using oxygine2d and c++, to reconstruct wagic from the ground up. No eta at all, however my current plans include making the game components all modular, such as the graphic engine, so hotswapping the graphic engine will only require rewriting a single page of c++, instead of hunting down every call made to jge for example.
I will end up with a modular engine, ai, "game", and interface.

Currently a lot of wagic is very tightly tied from part to part, meaning for me simply replacing the engine from jge to oxygine2d was simply out of the question. Hoping to fix that aspect.